Superica: Tex-Mex On Another Level

Tomorrow will be a week since being back from vacation, which means almost a week of being back in Atlanta where there are endless FOOD options!! Yes, I still have a bucket list of food items (shamefully stored on my work laptop) that gets updated probably too much. Since being home I was able to try out a couple of new restaurants, but the one I visited last night has to be known for anyone who lives in or around Atlanta. Warning: you will need to get down to this place as soon as you can!





I have been trying to get to this popular restaurant for about 3-4 months, only to be disappointed by the crowds and 2 hour long wait times. Superica is located in the newly built Krog St. Market off Freedom Pkwy but before Little 5 Points. This area is growing and has become very popular with locals and tourists alike. It is also conveniently located right on the Atlanta beltline, which means you can bike right to the restaurant. With all the buzz being centered on Krog St., I knew I'd have to let the hype fizzle out before attempting to visit Superica. Last night was my lucky night and I got to go! The wait was still over an hour, but that's about what I was expecting.


The wait was worth it. We started out with two types of homemade salsas. One was avocado based; not guacamole because it was creamier, but there was a delayed kick to it which was surprising. The other was fire roasted tomatoes, and yes... you could tell it was roasted + smoky! These salsas made us not even want to order additional queso or guacamole. 

The entrees were great! I tried chicken, pork belly, and brisket tacos. The pork belly was OUT OF THIS WORLD. I was deterred from ordering it due to ordering pork belly tacos at one of my other favorite Mexican restaurants in the city (I won't call them out) and they were NOT good, although they're food is super authentic. If you're at Superica, the pork belly tacos are a must.

I also ordered the simplest margarita on the menu; 3 ingredients to be exact, and it was perfect! It was called The O.G. margarita.

I unfortunately did not take any pictures of the food because a) the lighting was dark, and b) my friends and I couldn't stop eating and sharing our food! I did get some pictures of the decor, though:






Great aesthetics ranging from the tiled walls and floors, to the very unique bathrooms. You will need to go for yourself to see these!


I will most definitely be back, even if there is a wait. Luckily you have Krog St. to keep you entertained while waiting, complete with a brewery inside of it (Hop City) where you can grab a beer and socialize. Other restaurants and stores line the market too for your entertainment.

Any other super authentic Mexican restaurants around the Atlanta area that are a must to visit!?  Let me know! You can never go wrong with Mexican, and how does the saying go... I've never met a queso I didn't like. ;)


Cheers!





No comments