Before and After: Half Bath Reveal

My husband and I decided to renovate our tiny half bathroom together in our new home. Fortunately our home was move in ready when we purchased it last year, but the powder room didn't receive any love or attention from its last owner. The builder grade pedestal sink and gold mirror were still holding on strong... but such an eye sore! The room is pretty awkward with its layout and angles so we knew we had our work cut out for us. This was the first real project Justin and I worked on together, and since we are both inexperienced DIY/renovators... things got interesting, haha! But.... we made it through to the end and our marriage is still intact.
Take a look at a couple of before photos below, and then to the good stuff.... the pretty reveal!



This was the listing photo. Easily overlooked and small!



Prepping to paint!

Although the room was freshly painted, it looked as if the painters half way focused in this room. Some uneven paint spots and drips called for us to repaint it. Our entire house is actually this gray color, but we decided to brighten up this tiny space. Also, you quickly notice the angles in here and how it's a weird shape! Once again... our work was cut out for us, but I could see the potential.

I picked out this paint color by Behr. I kind of just picked out a color on a whim at Home Depot. I did not have a specific color in mind for inspiration; I went with my gut and decided to not obsess over it.... fortunately I like the color and find it bright but soothing!













We decided to do bead boarding in here to give the walls some depth and character. Did I mention we were inexperienced renovators? We put our math skills to the test and measured the walls, then measured our bead board and chair rail trim, and had it all cut to size. We also had to do this with the corner anchors/molding. These were pretty tough to get just right, considering we wanted them flush against the wall, and each corner was angled at a different degree. Our math skills were tested once again, but we managed to figure it out. We were also fortunate to have a friend lend us his nail gun, air machine and saw!

Next up was a new sink and vanity. I had eyed this vanity for months and was hoping it was still in stock when it came around to us purchasing. Fortunately it was and it was priced well. The hardware matches the rest of our home, and I always wanted a vanity with legs, doors, AND a shelf! As for the faucet, we ordered online here and liked how the design and brushed nickel finish matched the hardware on our new vanity.

I then purchased the infamous round mirror from Target in grey (brushed nickel). This mirror guarantees it will elevate the design in your room, all the while being so simple.

We decided to go with this shelf from Amazon. I had found a bathroom photo on Pinterest that I used as my inspiration, which is where I had located this pretty shelf!

I found these art prints to be so beautiful and simple, and knew they would be a good pop for this room!

I was then able to add some pieces of decor on the shelves as well as basic toiletries for guests. We also got a new toilet paper holder and towel rack (in brushed nickel) and new outlet/light covers. We kept the fixture for now that the prior owners put in since it was brushed nickel, which helped us to save a little money!

The wicker basket is used for toilet paper storage on the bottom shelf, and I am not against placing a rug in here.... if I can find one! (Rugs can be tough when you're very selective.... I see things in my head and then they do not exist in stores)!

That about sums up our little reveal! I know it isn't much (literally.. the smallest room in our home besides a closet), but we spent many hours in here after work and on the weekends to make this little room shine! Now she stands out all on her own, and I see it right when I walk in the door from the garage and it makes me smile!


With love, 
xo Nicole


Ps - If you have any questions, or if I missed something and you're curious, feel free to leave a comment below or shoot me a DM on Instagram!

No comments